Friday, September 9, 2016

9. September: Tanja attends the poetry event

Poetry Event  (Post from Tanja)

On the ninth of September, traditionally, many Latvian people go to their hometown's train station and read poetry. Ieva persuaded me to go and so we both read some poetry, too - she read a Latvian poem and I had chosen a part from Simon's poem.

                        

I was surprised to see a lot of youngsters, however later I found out, that their teacher had encouraged them to go. But still, I was positively surprised that they actually stepped out in front of everybody and spoke up. There also was the possibility to draw something on the ground , so of course, I did. 

                           


I admire the way Latvians keep their traditions because it strengthens the community and helps to teach core values to following generations and I hope that next year there will be even more people attending this event.



3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I'd like to point out that the tradition of holding poetry events at a railway station is a recent one. It was introduced about five years ago by Guna Roze, the head of Tukums Writers' Association (Tukuma Literātu Apvienība). However, the poetry day events have been held annually since September 1965. I guess, you can already tell that poetry is big in Latvia.

    P.S. I'm the slender guy Tanja had seen in Ligzda and during the poetry event. Regretfully, we haven't been introduced but I'd like to correct that.

    Regards,
    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andy,

    Thanks a lot for correcting me :)
    Was the idea of having this event in different places on the same day also iniciated by Guna Roze or has that been happening there before it started here?

    I guess I know who you are, but I'm not quite sure, just say hi the next time you see me ;)

    Greetings
    Tanja

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Tanja,

      No, I didn't intend to correct you. It was a poor attempt at providing more information.

      Regarding your question, I don't know but Guna should be able to answer tell you how it all started. AFAIK, she's on a creative vacation in Ventspils right now but, I'm sure, you'll have a chance to meet and talk to her. She speaks English quite well.

      It might seem that I'm unfriendly but, to be honest, I'm slightly socially awkward. I promise I'll say hi next time. :)

      Until next time,
      Andy

      Delete